Save 30% or more on your monthly energy bill
Apply Now for Bill Discounts and Free Home Energy Improvements
We offer two programs to help eligible customers pay their energy bill. Almost 275,000 customers are receiving a bill discount through our CARE and FERA programs. Simply fill out our online enrollment form and we'll let you know if you're eligible. You might also qualify for free energy-efficient home improvements. You must maintain acceptable usage levels to remain on the program.
If you qualify, you'll be enrolled in one of the following programs:
- California Alternate Rates for Energy (CARE) - You'll receive a 30% or more discount on your bill every month.
- Family Electric Rate Assistance (FERA) - If you don't qualify for CARE, you may qualify to receive a 12% discount on your bill every month through FERA. FERA is only open to households with three or more people.
Apply today using one of the options below:
- Current Customer (30 days or more) - apply online
- New Customer (less than 30 days) - apply online
- Renew Application - apply online
- Apply in Other Language
- Mail us your application
Applications are also available to the following customers:
California LifeLine Program:
If you’re receiving an energy bill discount through the CARE program, you may also qualify to receive a discount on your phone through the California LifeLine Program. To learn more call: 1-866-272-0349.
Authorized Outreach Contractor:
The Harris Group
Call Center: 619-825-9510
Free energy-efficient home improvements
If you’re a qualifying homeowner or renter, you could receive free home improvements and energy-efficient appliances that make your home more comfortable and save you money now and for years to come. You may also be eligible for a discount on your energy bill.
Eligibility is based on your household size and yearly income, or by your household participation in certain public assistance programs, including:
Medicaid/Medi-Cal for Families A & B
CalFresh (Food Stamps) SNAP
Head Start Income Eligible (Tribal Only)
Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance
Women, Infants and Children (WIC)
National School Lunch Program (NSLP)
Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
CalWORKs (TANF) or Tribal TANF
Qualification is also based on your household size and total current household income* (total income of all persons living in your house, condo, apartment or mobile home).
|Number in Household
||Total annual household income
|3||40,840||$40,841 - $51,050|
|4||$49,200||$49,201 - $61,500|
|5||$57,560||$57,561 - $71,950|
|6||$65,920||$65,921 - $82,400|
|7||$74,280||$74,281 - $92,850|
|8||$82,640||$82,641 - $103,300|
|Each additional person +$8,360|
Effective June 1, 2017 to May 31, 2018
Additional rules and guidelines
La factura de SDG&E debe estar a su nombre y el domicilio debe ser su residencia principal.
Debe notificar a SDG&E si deja de reunir los requisitos.
High energy use may result in removal from the program.
No puede aparecer usted en la declaración del impuesto sobre el ingreso de otra persona que no sea su cónyuge.
Your total current household income (all income of all persons living in your home), before deductions, is no more than the income level listed and you may be asked to verify your income.
Debe renovar su solicitud cuando se lo soliciten.
* Total household income is all taxable and non-taxable revenues, from all household members, from whatever sources derived, including but not limited to: wages, salaries, interest, dividends, spousal and child support payments; public assistance payments, Social Security and pensions, rental income, income from self-employment, and all employment-related non-cash income.